Sunday, October 11, 2009

Click-ed!!

I use Picasa a lot - both the desktop and the web album versions. I was heartbroken when Picasa reminded me that as I was using space more than 1GB, I will be required to buy the extra space that I need. This free service, wasn't free anymore. Hmmpf.

As I thought of what I could use as a next best alternative, I was reminded that my most recent online habits tell me that I use facebook quite often to upload pictures that I want my friends to see! So I went ahead and uploaded the pictures to my facebook albums instead of Picassa web albums.

Now came the issue of backup. With Picasa, it saves the album on the desktop and then uploads it online, but with Facebook I was worried that should my account get suspended, I'd be done for!

I found an interesting way to solve this on my friends reading list.

Reasons you may want to save your albums:
  • For viewing pictures even while you are offline.
  • For sharing photo albums with family members who aren’t very active on social sites. Just download a local copy of your Facebook albums and send them as email attachments or burn a DVD.
  • You have decided to close your Facebook account and therefore need a quick mechanism to move all your existing Facebook albums to another photo sharing website (like Flickr).
  • For offline backup.

And to make all the above reasons worthwhile, try Fotobounce - it's a free application to download your albums and save them to your desktop!
'You can download old photos, upload new ones to the web or simply view your existing photo albums as a slideshow without downloading them locally.
Fotobounce also includes built-in face recognition (similar to what you have in Google’s Picasa Albums) so you can quickly tag photos on the desktop and these people tags will be preserved even when the photos are uploaded on to Facebook.'*
So the next time a free software, isn't free anymore, try looking out for some other way to help you recover from the heartbreak and trust me there's always a way out, only if you really look for it.
*Description from the official Fotobounce website.