Tuesday, October 13, 2009

iGoogle to Making Wave(s)!

If there is one company that is making waves it's - Google, again.

Google is all set to introduce to the world of new media and the internet their latest offering - Google Wave.  The developers call it a communication and collaboration tool. It's all set to  be an open source application and is already making waves in the internet world. The best part is, it isn't available  to everyone yet - it is by invite only. 


I was lucky enough to receive an invite to view Google Wave quite early on and I realized that I had a couple of invites that I could send out as well. I wanted to check with other people I knew, if they did send out the invites as yet. As I spoke to people I knew over the phone, I realized that there was a bigger conversation happening all over blogs and the internet: people were ready to pay for the invites!


"Google Wave invite selling for $70 on eBay " - I looked at at the headline and thought to myself, there is always a larger conversation happening elsewhere! A peek into new and upcoming technology makes most tech lovers go weak in their knees and gets them very liberal with their wallets. Google has always made their position on this clear and so have they with the terms for using Google Wave as well - Users are prohibited to "sell, trade, resell or otherwise exploit the Service for any unauthorized commercial purpose." Though this has been clearly mentioned, 19 bids have been made and the auction is still on.


We have seen the rise of the many products that Google has developed, this one seems to be just as exciting. Just the thought of doing everything in real-time, is amazing. It'll kill the barriers of distance, time and resources. People will be able to collaborate and share rich text, videos, gadgets, etc. Looks like its not just iGoogle anymore.


While the saga continues, everyone awaits with bated breath to see what the internet behemoth will bring on next. Something most Tech Pundits vouch will send ripples throughout the world. 



Google Wave - its shared and its live. Ask me if you want an invite, be nice to me, don't buy it online and I'll see what I can do :D


Article written by Soumya Rao for Digitally - a tech magazine inspired by opinions on technology and more, Alternatively to be published on Topicbean - the website for the new topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment